Saturday, March 19, 2011

Someone Like You

This is what I was thinking about today when I went running.

I have a hard time being mad at people. I just don't have the personality for it. As a writer I believe that words have such a powerful impact on a person. When we fling them around whip them up in anger they lodge themselves inside us like hidden barbs releasing unhappy feelings, self doubt and sadness in us long after the conversation. Years later they still sting fresh as the day they were thrown. But the same goes with words of Praise, Promise and Peace. I've been doing a little experiment when I wake up (sometimes at the early hour of 4 am) instead of bemoaning the state of the world and my forced awareness of the blackness that comes that early in the day I just try to say Good morning. There are some mornings where I get all worked up and punch the pillows and stuff my head underneath hoping that I can gain a few more hours of sleep and lay there staring at the ceiling forcing my limbs to move. I find those mornings I'm not the nicest of persons. My words seem grouchy mean and I say things I shouldn't.

I found this quote on Oprah's Master Class featuring Dr. Maya Angelou and since I've heard it in January I read it every day to propel me to be a better person to quote:

Try to be all you can be, the best human being you can be, try to be that in your
church, in your temple, try to be that in your classroom, do it because it is right to do
you see? People will know you and they will add you prayers they will wish you life, I
think that if your name is mentioned and people go "OH Hell or Oh Damn I think you are doing something wrong, but if your name is mentioned and people go Oh She's so
sweet , He's so nice Oh I love her oh God bless her there you are. So try to live
your life in a way that you will not regret years of useless virtue and inertia and
timidity.

I don't know if its made any difference with people but I find that my words have been more positive, my outlook more joyous and when I go huffing and puffing all over Ogden I tend to say Hello.

For the long run today I ran 12.55 miles in 2 hours and 31 minutes!

2 comments:

  1. Blake, what a beautiful quote from Maya Angelo. I want you to know that Bec (the clerk up on Peds) and I always say "I just love him!" to each other every time we see you! So there you go, people blessing you all over the place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. btw this is casey davis. dont know why its saying alisha? :)

    ReplyDelete