Monday, January 8, 2018

Have Fun At Your Little Party

My Grandparents at a dinner party. 
When I was a freshman in high school my sister had a friend named Lindsey Hansen. Lindsey lived with her Grandma Margie. Lindsey was living with Grandma Margie because her father had gotten a job in one of those really hot countries that looks amazing on Instagram but in reality, it is a muggy mess. I forgot the name of it and the country isn’t important to this story. Back to Grandma Margie. She was not a nice woman. Once when Lindsey went out to go have a small party with her girlfriends Grandma Margie, thrusting a jello mold in Lindsey’s hands  gave this parting shot:

“Have fun at your little party.”

This line has become a part of my family shorthand.In conversation if one mentions they are going to a party it always followed by this sharp little barb.

It is currently 5:45 p.m. in January, completely dark and the inversion has set in and I’m wearing my thickest LULU pants, my flannel shirt, and my indoor jacket with my Minky blanket on my lap and a heating pad. I know I look ridiculous but the pizza delivery person has probably seen worse. At least I tip well. 

The point is while I sit here freezing to death looking a Pinterest I can't but think I want to throw a little dinner party. Perhaps I've binged watched Julie & Julia one too many times. A brief note that has no relation to this post  am I the only one who skips Amy Adams story? Hands? 

Back on point. 

Since it is gross, dark, and I'm partied out I want to know what happened to the dinner party? I'm not talking big family events, holidays, or BBQ's but just a simple meal at someone's home with good music and conversation.  Do people still do this? Or was this ever really a thing? I feel it had to be a thing as I've seen on the reruns on Mary Tyler Moore (It bears repeating. Cold. Dark. all before 6:00 p.m.) that this was a thing.

What I'm asking is if anyone is throwing a dinner party can I come? 

Just so someone will say:

"Have fun at your little party". 



No comments:

Post a Comment